Our School Attendance Policy
- Please remember as stated in the Student Handbook, our school requires a written excuse explaining all absences and tardies.
A written excuse shall be sent to the teacher the day the child returns to school after an absence. If a child is tardy, a parent must come into the school with the child or send a note explaining the reason for the tardy.
As stated in the Johnson City Student Code of Conduct Acceptable Reasons for an Excused Absence are:
1. Child's 'personal illness -- After 5 absences in a school year, a physician's statement may be required for additional absences.
2. Death in the family--Absence not to exceed 3 days.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
• Set a regular bed time and stick with it. Develop a morning routine that works for you.
• Lay out tomorrow's clothing and pack backpacks the night before. Taking a little extra time to do this in the evening can save major stress for parents and precious minutes lost by not being able to find an essential item in the morning.
• Absences due to illness are often unavoidable, You know your child best. Don’t allow your child miss school unless he or she is truly sick. Keep in mind that sniffles or complaints of a headache or stomach ache are not always a reason to stay home.
• If your child seems anxious about going to school, talk to your school counselor or your child's teacher. We are happy to help!
• Make alternative plans for getting your child to school if something comes up like car trouble, a sick sibling or a family emergency. Talk with a neighbor, family member, or another child's parent at the start of the school year about providing back up transportation if it is ever needed.
• Avoid scheduling appointments and vacations when school is in session if at all possible.
"Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year". Ralph Waldo Emerson